Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Remembering Noah

(The rain in my state as I type this post!)

As I watched the evening news and saw the devastation of the recent flooding in Georgia and some of the other southern states I could not help but think about Noah and the flood of all floods. Despair was etched on the faces of people on TV who were looking at their homes with nothing but the roof showing above the water. Many have lost all they have ever worked for. Even worse is the loss of human lives. I was horrified to hear of the two-year-old toddler who was swept out of his Daddy's arms after their mobile home was broken into pieces by the swiftly rising river. It's one thing to lose possessions but another altogether to lose a precious family member!

What do we have in common with Noah? For one thing, the great wickedness corrupting the world like a big fat green worm eats up the tomatoes in our garden. Genesis 6: 5 says: "And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Seems like that pretty well describes the world in general even today.

What else might we have in common with Noah? Rain every day! I've lost count now how many days in a row it has rained here. We have had a total of 7 or 8 inches of rain that we measured in the rain gauge on our back deck in less than a week. I'm just truly thankful that we live in "hill country" and don't have water seeping in the door !

A good thing that we can have in common with Noah is grace! Genesis 6: 8 "But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD." What a marvelous blessing grace is! I've heard some say all they want is "justice" but not me! If I got what I deserved it would be hell. But thank God I have, like Noah, found grace in the eyes of the LORD!

God would have every right to send another great flood and destroy mankind. But He promised Noah with the sign of a rainbow in the clouds that He would never do so ever again. Genesis 9: 13 "I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be fore a token of a covenant between me and the earth." Noah was the first to see a rainbow. You and I have seen several in our life times. Each time we should remember it is a symbol of God's mercy.

Take a few minutes to pray for the many families who are facing the floods today. Pray that they especially may also, as Noah, find grace in the eyes of the LORD!

Marilyn

8 comments:

Leah Adams said...

What a beautiful and timely post. I, too, am blessed to live in the mountains where we did not have much flooding. I'm thankful for the grace that God not only offered Noah, but me as well.

I hope you are doing well. Thanks for this post.

Leah

Yolanda said...

Marilyn, I totally agree and this post is very humbling and a great reminder for grace and mercy. We desire it for ourselves and may we be WILLING to pour it out onto others.

Love to you,
Yolanda

Beth Herring said...

Awesome post. Great reminder to be thankful for His Grace.

Susan said...

Oh how true!!

Great post.

Thanks so much for stopping by the other day.

Hope your day is blessed♥

Sandra said...

I too often think about Noah. It is hard to find families that are really serving God and not caught up in all the worldly things. As discouraging as it is to me, I cannot imagine how Noah felt. His was THE only family really serving God. No doubt there were some religious people around, because his daughter in laws were saved, but their families must just have been religious. Noah was a very strong man of faith, no doubt!

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Marilyn! What a beautiful post! So many Truths, my friend. I'll be praying for those in harm's way. Take care!!

Hugs,
Susan

TJ said...

I agree. Just like the word says "As it was in the days of Noah". Last night a lady that doesn't live for God said to me "Something is happening". I was silent as I wanted to here her next response - Someone said the world is coming to an end. I mentioned that the world has the 1000 year reign but the rapture will happen first. My point is, you are so right - there are signs and even the one's that don't read the word or hear sermons about it are feeling something is going to happen - which it will. I'm so thankful for the Lord and His word.

LisaShaw said...

Hi Marilyn,

It's been a while since I've visited and I'm so glad I was able to today. I pray that all is well with you and your family. I'm indeed praying for all who are being affected. Your heart of care is a blessing.

Love and blessings to you.