Friday, September 26, 2008

A Stiff Neck

(applying the "Blue Goo")

Ever had a stiff neck? Then you can sympathize with me! My neck has been stiff, sore and aching for weeks now. The result of a combination of a lot of things I think. I've tried ice packs, hot packs, "Blue Goo", stretching and massage. It gets better for a little while and then it gets worse again. I may have to resort to taking physical therapy again....that did seem to help a couple of years ago!

In my research online I noticed that stiff sore necks can be caused by 1] poor posture, 2] too much time spent at a computer, 3] or a "tense mindset".....all of which, I'm afraid, I admit to having! A stiff neck.....can tell people a lot about your disposition I guess.

The Bible mentions people with "stiff necks" in several places. But in that instance it's talking about people getting obstinate, stubborn, headstrong and set in their ways.

"But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction." Jeremiah 17: 23

I'd like to think that my only problem with a "stiff neck" is physical. But in actuality, sometimes that is a pretty good description of my spiritual life too. Yep, I hate to admit it but I can get obstinate, stubborn, headstrong and set in my ways quicker than I can close my Bible and walk out the door. And I pay the price, too, when that happens. It hurts! I can't bow my head in prayer very well with a stiff neck. I can't turn my head to see someone in need with a stiff neck. I can't look up to see the glory of God in the firmament of heaven with a stiff neck.

I'm tired of this pain in the neck! Both physical and spiritual. Hopefully I will make the effort to get them both on the mend. I need to watch my posture: (physically) stand and sit without slouching and (spiritually) spend more time bowed in worship. I need to watch how long I sit in one place without moving: (physically) don't sit at computer or desk too long at one stretch and (spiritually) don't sit still doing nothing for the Lord's work. I need to try to not be so "tense": (physically) try to stretch & purposefully relax and (spiritually) try to rest in knowing that God is in control.

May God bless us all with a supple, relaxed neck....both in the physical and the spiritual realm!

Marilyn

4 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Well, girlfriend, you have certainly written a post that speaks to me!! I fear I am spiritually stiff necked way too often.

In Exodus 33 and 34, God threatened to send Israel on into the promised land without His presence because they were a stiff necked people.

I don't ever want to be without the presence of the Lord so I need to always be sure that I am asking God to show me anyplace that I am being stiff necked.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Leah

Kay Martin said...

Marilyn...sorry about your neck. But you triggered some interesting thoughts. I think of the cliche' of "you're a pain in the neck." Maybe some folks cause us to stiffend up and then we get a pain in the neck.

Love it!!!

Deborah said...

Another good post Marilyn, and yes, I suffer from a stiff neck now and then too!

Joyful said...

WOW Marilyn - excellent application here!!! This has given me much to ponder. It's made me consider where I am "stiff necked" spiritually. Oh how I want to be pliable and willing to turn in His direction in every area of my life.

Thanks for this marvelous teaching!
Love & prayers,
Joy