Friday, March 30, 2012

A Balancing Act

Do you ever at times feel like your life is a balancing act and that at any moment things may come crashing down all around you? Sometimes I do! The other night as I washed some dishes and was "balancing" them in the drainer trying to get them all in there before I started drying them, I looked at them and thought how I try to do the same thing in so many other areas of my life. Funny how so many days I start out focused and then before I know it my mind...or my body...or both...is going in a multitude of directions and I'm trying to balance it all together.
I've noticed that if I don't let my dirty dishes stack up then I don't have so many to wash and they fit well in the dish drainer. They just sit there until either they drain dry or I take a dish towel and dry them. If they are few enough in number they never attempt to slip and slide and fall on the floor! Sometimes my life is not too hectic and things stick together pretty well. But just as I have had pots and pans teeter and fall when I stack them too high, there are times one thing in my life falls from it's perch and seems to knock down a dozen more on it's way down! Maybe it would be better if I tried to do a little less and not spread myself so thin or stack up my projects so high!
As Christians, we need to ask the Lord what it is we need to be doing. He may want us to do more than we do now. He may want us to do less. If we will seek His counsel and then do His will, He will balance our lives for us! I have been guilty of trying to figure out things for myself and sometimes get myself in deeper water than I can handle, so to speak.
"A just weight and balance are the LORD's: all the weights of the bag are his work." Proverbs 16:11
May God bless you as you seek to live a balanced life with Him!
Marilyn

5 comments:

Lelia Chealey said...

Marilyn, I love this post! Thank you for sharing it. So true and I loved what you said how sometimes He wants us to do more and sometimes less. Thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

You are so right. My biggest problem is doing things on my own instead of listening for God to give me instructions!! Thanks for this message.

Leah Adams said...

Oh I am so bad about trying to do too many things and not focus on just a few and do them well. Very good post, my friend. What a wonderful reminder to focus on the task at hand and do it with excellence.

Karin said...

Good thoughts here! Important to focus and not get overwhelmed by the size of the task. Nothing wrong with drying a few dishes, putting them away to make room and then getting back to washing up the rest or, at times, calling for help.

pembrokeshire lass said...

Thanks Marilyn....spot on!! I so need to hear this at the moment. Have joined so that I can find you again. Life is very hard at the moment! Blessings. Joan