Sunday, October 26, 2008

On the Outside Looking In

The other night I went out on the deck to retrieve a pan off the patio table. It was drizzling rain and already dark. As I quickly turned to go back in the house before the drizzle soaked through my clothes, I first glanced through the lighted kitchen window. The rain was sticking to the screen outside the window. I felt as though I were a stranger to my own house.....as if I were there on the outside looking in at someone else's house. Someone else's life. Strange how that sight affected me. I went inside and finished washing the dishes and other chores of the night but could not get the melancholy thoughts of the rainy window off my mind.

It's a lonely thing to be on the outside looking in. We all want to be in the inside loop.....the inner circle....where all the excitement and good times are. None of us want to be excluded and be out in the dark.

In this world we can't always achieve everything we want. We can't always be on the inside. It's inevitable that some of us will be on the outside looking in. But the same is not true in the spiritual world. Everyone who accepts the light that Christ offers will never, ever be left in the dark. As a Christian the "Light of the World"....Jesus Christ.....lives in our heart. It will never be dark. We will always be in Christ. We will never be outside Christ looking in.

1 John 1: 5 "This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."

Marilyn

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

This is powerful imagery...haunting and telling. No wonder you couldn't shake it! It preaches its own sermon in 1000 different ways.

An outsider looking in--there's something so urgent about that posture isn't there?

I'll be lingering in this picture all day.

peace~elaine