Saturday, October 4, 2008

"Tater-Punkin Pie"


I promise I'm not trying to turn this into a food/cooking blog but wanted to share one of my favorite recipes with you. It's "Tater-Punkin Pie".....at least that's what it's called in the hills of north Mississippi. :)
I had never heard of a Potato-Pumpkin until I got married. (It's actually a Striped Cushaw) My mother-in-law would cut the thick fleshy neck part into cubes about the size of a hen egg or maybe a little smaller and put them in a pan, cover with real farm fresh butter and some sugar and then bake in the oven until they were candied. Mmm, mmm good! I made some of that yesterday too. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Hubby grew several of these "Punkins" this year and yesterday peeled and cut one of them up for me. They are very hard to peel so I was glad he took pity on me and helped me out. As I said, I candied a pan full of it to have for supper tonight. I also made a pie. My step mother makes the best Tater-Punkin Pie I've ever tasted so I use her recipe. To make the pie boil some of the chunks of pumpkin until very tender. Drain and mash.
Maw Maw's Tater Punkin Pie
4 cups cooked, drained, and mashed pumpkin
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 stick butter or margarine, melted
Cook and prepare pumpkin and measure out 4 cups. Melt butter and mix with sugar. Then add eggs and flour. Finally, add the milk and pumpkin. Mix well. Pour into two unbaked pie shells. Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes OR until middle is firmly set. (This can also be made with regular pumpkins)
We just finished having a couple of pieces for our dessert tonight. Hubby had his with ice cream and I had whipped cream on mine. Yummy!
Just had to share!
God bless you!
Marilyn

No comments: