Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's Pruning Time

It's that time of the year again! Time to prune trees and shrubs while they lie dormant in the winter cold. I heard the chain saw running and looked out the other morning to see my husband on top of the ladder in the midst of the pear tree! He was pruning the branches before they start growing again in the spring. It's not a task that I like for him to do.....that chainsaw in the top of a tree seems a little dangerous to me....but he seems to think it's necessary.

I asked my computer the question...Why prune trees? This is one of the answers I found.
"The primary reason for pruning is to ensure good access to sunlight. Did you ever notice that the best fruit always seems to be in the top of the tree? It's true, because that's where the most light is available."

Do you think that may be a reason that the Lord has to "prune" us sometimes? To get us out of the shade of all the busy-ness of the world and back into His "SON-light" so we can grow?

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit." John 15: 1-2

Marilyn

9 comments:

Susan said...

Hey Marilyn,

Thanks for stopping by the Cafe and leaving a comment yesterday.

I've missed coming by your blog.

Prunning, yes, a season we must all go through, but oh the results are wonderful!!

Blessings♥

Karin said...

Amen to that!!

Special Needs Mom said...

While praying a couple of weeks ago I had an imagine in my mind's eye of a hard-pruned tree. I knew that it was to help me see that a tree may not look much like a tree after such a hard pruning, but that in time, new life, new fruit will emerge. A new shape will take form, and the tree will stand stronger than before.

Thanks for this lovely posting, Marilyn.

Leah Adams said...

Pruning season are no fun but the fruit that they produce are always worth the pain. I am so thankful that the Lord prunes with love.

leah

Lisa said...

Heavenly Son-light! Shine down on me!
Blessings - Lisa

Yolanda said...

Marilyn,

I wonder if we could be like the pear tree in the fact of NOT RESISTING the Pruner and pruning?



Love,
Yolanda

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

More access to the SONLIGHT! If that's the case, then I say get me to my pruning! I so long to feel the warmth of my Jesus shining down upon me.

Great thoughts, Marilyn. I mean that!

peace~elaine

LisaShaw said...

AMEN!

If God were to ever stop pruning me then I'd be in trouble!!!

Shine His light down on me (us)! YES LORD!

Cathryn said...

Marilyn, I really appreciate this post. I've missed coming by. Thank you for the great comparison.
Lord Bless, Cathryn