Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fruitful Seasons






"Nevertheless He left not Himself without witness, in that He did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness." Acts 14: 17



Yes, indeed! We are still getting that rain from heaven. And in response to the rain, we are having fruitful seasons already. With our strawberries! Hubby picked over a gallon of the ruby red beauties this morning. They are sitting on my counter now waiting for me to wash and take the leaves off. Then I will sweeten them just a little bit and put in bags and freeze. They will be SO good on ice cream or in a strawberry cake later on. These strawberries are extremely good. They are not at all like what we buy at the grocery store which have been brought in from California or Florida. Hubby's strawberries are a little tangy and a bit more robust. Ummmmm! You'd have to just taste them to know what I mean.

Growing your own strawberries in your garden is a bit harder than running down to the grocery store and picking up a box of fresh strawberries or a bag of frozen ones. Picking strawberries can be a backbreaking job. You have to get right down very near the ground to find them. So that means either you have to stoop over or get on your hands and knees....either one of which will get my back started hurting in a hurry! Thankfully hubby usually does the picking.

Truly the Lord is "filling our hearts with food and gladness".

I should get in the kitchen and get busy cleaning and fixing those strawberries. I think I will give myself a reward of a big bowl of Cool Whip (less calories than ice cream you know!) and strawberries when I get done! Ummmm. I can hardly wait!




***UpDate***


I'm done! I put four bags of berries in the freezer and left out a small bowl for us to eat.




And now it's REWARD time! Couldn't resist the urge to have a cup of coffee and a 1-point chocolate cupcake to go with the Cool Whip and strawberries!

Thankful today for all God's goodness!

Marilyn

12 comments:

Faye said...

Marilyn,Your strawberries are beautiful.I know you will enjoy them.Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Faye

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

When I picked up my "strawberries" from the local farmers the other morning, they asked me if I wanted to "pick." No thanks, just give me the goods. Ours our absolutely delicious this year and will last a week or two longer.

I've got some good jam if you need any!

peace~elaine

Leah Adams said...

Those look SOOOO good. I can just taste some good jam made with them or a strawberry cobbler. Oh my goodness, I'm just about to drool they look so good.

Leah

Cindy said...

Yum! I can just taste them. We tried to grow strawberries one year when our children were little. Between our children picking them as soon as they appeared and the Canadian geese that wander into our yard we didn't have a fruitful season!

Enjoy!

Yolanda said...

This is so beautiful from start to finish and TASTY as well.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Peggy said...

The Lord is very good to us. Oh that I would glorify Him more!

The strawberries look very good. I am planning to put some in the freezer as well;
there is a farm near me that sells strawberries. (Brownlee Farms in Red Banks,MS, if
any of your readers are interested in buying from a local supplier). A little later he
will have sweet corn and tomatoes. Well, he is getting free advertising isn't he?

I really enjoy the scripture references that you give. They seem to grab one's attention
more when used in conjunction with current events.

Marilyn it is so wonderful that
you are using your talents for the Lord as a full time job. I feel that He is pleased with
the way you are getting the Word out.

Thanks so much and hope you are having a great and blessed week!

Your Friend,
Peggy

Lisa said...

I love fresh strawberries! Your posts always make me smile!
Blessings - Lisa!

Alene said...

Beautiful! YOu make me hungry for fresh strawberries. Of course, that cool whip and chocolate looks awesome as well. Scrumptious!!!!! Blessings.

Deborah said...

My parents used to own a 'U Pick' strawberry farm, and when there weren't enough customers coming to pick someone had to get it done! So I know what you mean about the work, and the taste! I find it hard to buy strawberries now, after years of freebies...well, not quite free...we worked hard for them!

Kay Martin said...

Between your superb writing and great photography you have messed up my day. I want the strawberries in the freezer and I especially crave the desert.

Love it!!!!

LisaShaw said...

Thanks for sharing with us Marilyn. I'd love to get my hands on some of those strawberries and I like that Weight Watchers treat!!! (smile).

Bless you.

Joyful said...

Oh Marilyn, how I would love to sit down and share a cup of coffee and strawberry dessert with you. The company would be even sweeter than the yummy treats.

Blessings,
Joy