Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wednesday in the Word

WEDNESDAY IN THE WORD
(from Psalm 107: 25-31)

A few weeks ago I was reading in Psalms and came across a verse that stood out to me: "He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still." Psalm 107: 29 At the time I was needing reassurance during a time of storms of various kinds in my life. So I didn't pay much attention to the verses preceding verse 29. Today while reading a devotional book, the author brought out some things I had missed.

I had only dwelt on God's ability to CALM the storms. I had not given too much thought to the fact that sometimes God CAUSES the storms! "For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits'end." Psalm 107: 25-27

Sometimes God uses the storms of life to get our attention and make us realize that we need Him. "Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses:" (Psalm 107: 28)

And THEN...after we realize our need and cry unto Him..."He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still." (Psalm 107: 29)

And what should our response be when God calms our storms? "Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven." (Psalm 107: 30)

We should be glad! But not glad only, but also thankful. "Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!" (Psalm 107: 31)

When God rescues you from a storm, praise Him for it! Praise Him in private, praise Him in public! Praise Him morning, noon, and night!

Praising Him today for all that He has done!

Marilyn

9 comments:

Kay Martin said...

Oh, my, Marilyn, you've hit the big one!!! God keeps teaching me His mercy. I'm finding it to be strong and sure filled with His love. BUT...from my little human perspective sometimes His moves on my life and my loved ones can look severe; but He knows what dangers lie ahead if we do not cry out to Him and desire to have Him so near.

I love this post. Thank you for giving your heart on this one; because it the rah rah aint life grand trend in Christian writing we need to stay grounded on the Word in totality.

Lisa said...

Praising Him with you today! I have been walking through a storm but am coming out on the other side walking more closely with Him. Through the storm I discovered just how FAITHFUL God really is.
Blessings - Lisa

Jill Beran said...

Good words! Thanks for reminding me of the importance of the way we look at things - if I could only see through His eyes constantly! Read your comments on Lysa's blog - I feel the need for prayer for my mess as well!! Praying for you my friend, Jill

Beth Herring said...

How well do I know about storms in our lives!

THanks for this great message today. You are a blessing.

Yolanda said...

Causes me to think of the 10 lepers being healed and only one went back to thank our Lord and Savior.


Lovingly,
Yolanda

Liesa said...

THANK YOU MARILYN. WHAT A TRUE AND IMPORTANT POST. "WHEN THE STORMS ARE RAGING, I'LL NOT BE AFRAID; GOD HOLDS ME IN THE PALM OF HIS HAND." WHAT A BLESSING. HE HAS TAUGHT ME SO MUCH THE PAST 2 MONTHS. I HAVE BEEN AMAZED WITH THE PEACE, CALMNESS, AND ASSURANCE ALTHOUGH THE WINDS HAVE BEEN BLOWING AND THE WAVES HAVE BEEN TRYING TO OVERTAKE ME. ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW! AND PRAISE THE LORD.
THANKS AGAIN. GOD BLESS YOUR DAY DEAR FRIEND.

Tulabell said...

Thank you so much for the scripture references. This really spoke to me today. I've been wondering why there is too much calm lately and feel like I am in a desert, but I really am not! I see the pattern now. I am only practicing my Christianity for a short time and am learning slowly, but surely. I hope you don't mind my linking your blog to my site, http://tulabell-walkingwithgod.blogspot.com

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Storms never cease to garner my attention; I know that God intends for them to bring me closer to him. How I pray for the good sense and willingness to turn to his "calm" before I default to the world's approach.

Great words, friend.

peace~elaine

Joyful said...

Not being a storm girl, I love this post. Thanks for reminding me that God also brings and directs the storms. I can rest knowing that even during uncertain weather...and times...God is in control.

Trusting Him,
Joy