Saturday, June 12, 2010

Squash Pickles, Mustard Seeds, and God

(Recipe has been added to comment section by request)

This year we are having an abundance of squash in our garden. We've had it stewed with onions and butter, deep fried, and made into squash dressing. A few days ago I had enough small squash to make a batch of one of our favorites....Squash Pickles!

Mustard seeds are a key ingredient in the pickles. As I watched the seeds fall into the mixing bowl from my measuring spoons my thoughts turned to the Bible and the passages where Jesus talked about mustard seeds.

My first thought was of where He told His disciples that if they had faith the size of a mustard seed then they could move mountains. (Matt. 17: 20) or to command a tree to pull itself up by the roots and throw itself into the ocean (Luke 17: 6). Now I don't know about you, but my faith has never made it to the size of a mustard seed yet! Because I have not moved any mountains lately! :) I do want to have more faith. God deserves my faith!

Another time that Jesus mentioned the lowly mustard seed was in Luke 13: 18-19 where He said: "Unto what is the kingdom of God like? and whereunto shall I resemble it?
It is like a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and cast into his garden; and it grew, and waxed a great tree; and the fowls of the air lodged in the branches of it. "

Oh what a blessing to know that I am part of this kingdom of God! I'm so glad that God uses the "little" everyday things in life to point me to Him and His goodness and His faithfulness!

May God bless you!

Marilyn

10 comments:

Dianna said...

Marilyn,
Your squash pickles look so pretty! Would you mind to share your recipe...just incase we would have an abundance this year! :)

Leah Adams said...

Those pickles look soooo good. I can just taste them now with a big juicy hamburger. Oh my goodness!!

Love squash~~anyway it is fixed. I love it.

Have a blessed Saturday.

leah

Karin said...

Have made zucchini mustard pickles before - these must be similar. Yummy! Looks so nice to have those jars ready for later on.

Faith 'like' a mustard seed, not necessarily the 'size' of a mustard seed! Just like the seed I need to be willing to disintegrate (die to self), put all my energy into growing (mature) and then become a big plant, useful even as shade (bear fruit). I don't imagine the dear seed worries too much about the process, it just trusts and has faith that what it was designed for, will take place. Wow, help me Lord!!

Patsy said...

when can I come for supper or lunch!

Peggy said...

They look very nice! Great lesson on what a little can do; and so many little things do make
such a big difference! Being a friend is one of the most neglected things in this modern age.
We are all so busy that we don't have time to invest in the lives of others. Therefore, we tend to
be lonely amid the busyness. Thank you for being a friend.

With Love,
Peggy

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

For those of you who asked for the recipe:
I don't dice the peppers....I cut them in thin strips. This time I used the purple onions instead of the white or yellow and it made it very pretty!
I make mine in pint jars. Hope you like them.
Marilyn
****************

SQUASH PICKLES
8 cups sliced yellow summer squash,
2 cups sliced sweet onion
1 tablespoon non-iodized salt
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 cups cider vinegar
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 Tablespoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon turmeric

Preparation:
Combine squash and onion slices in a large cooking pot; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour. Add green pepper, vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and mustard seeds and bring to a boil. Pack in jars. Bring water to a boil in a boiling water-bath canner. Place hot filled jars in rack and into the water. Starting timer when water returns to a boil with jars in it; process for 5 minutes, or 10 minutes for altitudes of 1,001 to 6,000 feet. Over 6,000 feet, process for 15 minutes.

Debra said...

Those squash pickle look delicious!

Such a great truth about the mustard seed. Seems like we all could have faith that size, but like you, my faith isn't even half the size of a mustard seed!!

Blessings,
Debra

Gran Jan said...

Marilyn - Thank you for the recipe! I will have to try these and I wanted to tell you that Isaiah 58:11 is the theme of my blog header...I love the thought of my soul being like a well-watered garden...not dry, but alive in Jesus!

Take care, your friend,
GA Jan

Deborah said...

Your pickles look yummy!
And you have such a gift to see God in every day life!

Dianna said...

Thank you, Marilyn, for posting the recipe for your squash pickles! I plan to put it to good use this summer!