Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Is It Worth the Extra Effort?

I received part of my Christmas present from my husband a week early. I'd been thinking for a while that I'd like to try this "juicing" thing that some of my friends were doing. So when Benny gave me some Christmas money and told me to go shopping for myself, I went straight away and bought a Jack LaLanne Juicer.As soon as I took the juicer out of the box, I read all the instructions: how to take it apart; how to put it back together; best fruits and veggies for juice; fruits and veggies not to juice; etc. Then I took it apart, washed and dried all the parts and reassembled it.

The first day I only used carrots for my juice and was mildly disappointed at the somewhat bitter taste it had. The next morning I added half an apple and it was much better. The next day I added a quarter of an orange to the mix and it was really delicious! But in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Is it really worth the extra effort to drink fresh juice?" For you see, it takes me about half an hour from the time I start preparing the veggies & fruit until I get it all taken apart, cleaned, washed, dried, and put back together again.

I do believe that it most likely is worth it! Fresh is always better and more healthy. So I plan to keep up this routine as long as possible and see if I notice any improvement in the way I feel.

As an added bonus I have made a healthy carrot cake with the pulp that is left after I juice. This morning I had the carrot/apple/orange juice and a small slice of the carrot cake! Mmmmmm!

I was thinking about my spiritual life and what I need to do to keep it healthy. If fresh is better for my physical body, then fresh must surely also be better for my spirit! I don't need to depend on the spiritual truths I learned last month or last year to keep me healthy. I need to get a "fresh" helping of God in my life every day. And that will take a little extra time on my part. Is it worth the extra effort to take time to read a portion of the Bible each day and to take time to pray? Oh yes! It's worth it!

In the late 1800's William D. Longstaff wrote a song titled "Take Time to be Holy". The words are beautiful and describe how we're always blessed when we take the extra time to interact with the Lord! Here are the word of the song:

Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.Make friends of God’s children, help those who are weak,Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;Spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone.By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.Take time to be holy, let Him be thy Guide;And run not before Him, whatever betide.In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,And, looking to Jesus, still trust in His Word.Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul,Each thought and each motive beneath His control.Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,Thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.

I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas!

Marilyn

8 comments:

Martha said...

Very relevant, Marilyn. I know of several people who have juiced and it really helped their health. Can you juice enough for several days at a time or is it an every day thing? Just wondered. I know it is worth it just as Bible Study and praying take at least 30 minutes a day and that is definately worth it. I hope you and yours will be healthy and happy during this Christmas Season.
Love you.
Martha

Karin said...

Just catching up on your recent post. What excellent truths presented in both of your life experiences and application. Thanks for sharing. Have blessed Christmas!

Leah Adams said...

Keeping our relationship with Jesus 'fresh' is so important. It is a prayer that I pray regularly. Lord, please let me fall deeper in love with you. I think that qualifies as 'fresh'.

Enjoy your juicer!

Leah

Yolanda said...

You are such a hoot and this was so good. Is it worth the extra effor? Most assuredly, both physical and spitirtual. Love YOU!

Merry Christmas-

Susan said...

Hey Marilyn,

Sounds like work, but all good things do "take time".

Love your insights here.

Thanks so much for dropping by and being such a constant source of encouragement to me.

Merry Christmas Marilyn to you and your precious family.

It's a joy to know you♥

Jana said...

It's worth the effort! :)

Deborah said...

Hi Marilyn, I've thought about making fresh juice too, but have never bothered to buy the juicer. I know it's healthier, and it looks great. I look forward to hearing if you notice a difference in how you feel.
I hope you had a blessed Christmas with your family!

robert said...

Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. And thanks for the excellent illustration of a spiritual principle. So many things in life "take time." We should not be surprised that developing a personal relationship with the Lord does too. William Longstaff's hymn has an important message for our fast paced generation. God bless.