Saturday, May 3, 2008

Til the Storm Passes By


"Hold me fast, let me stand...in the hollow of Thy hand....keep me safe, 'til the storm passes by." Do ya'll remember that song? (The funniest thing just happened. I had just taken my hands up from the keyboard after typing those first two sentences when I heard my husband get out of bed and start humming this same song!) Funny how we both had it on our minds first thing this morning! Or actually not.....as we were up late last night after he got home from work watching the tornado warnings that were still scattered throughout our area. Thankfully there was minimal damage here in north Mississippi.

If you have known me for very long at all you know my fear of storms! I am trying to trust more and fear less in many areas of my life. Thanks to those of you who are praying with me about this! I don't want to live a defeated life when Christ has come so that I may "have life and have it more abundantly"!

Beginning yesterday afternoon we were under a tornado watch here in our area. I tried to stay really busy to keep my mind off of it. Since we are "empty-nesters" now, there are many times when my husband's job makes it necessary for me to be "home alone" during stormy weather. So yesterday when our tornado "watch" was upgraded to a tornado "warning" because a tornado had either been sighted or was showing up on the radar as a tornado he called me from work several times to check on me and make sure I was all right. He is able to listen to a weather band radio in the shop where he works and keeps up with the bulletins. Very thoughtful of him. And also I knew he was praying for me.


When the threat of the worst part of the storm was over he called to see about me again. Then he told me to go and get the little "Days of Praise" devotional booklet he uses and read the devotion for the day. After I hung up the phone I did and was amazed to read the title for Friday, May 2, was "God and the Whirlwind"! The key verse was Nahum 1: 3..."The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet." The writer made this remark near the end of the devotional: "God has His way in the mighty whirlwind, and we do well to hear Him speak as He passes by.." How true this is. When the world gets to thinking how high and mighty we are, how far technology has come, how strong we are.....then comes a mighty tornado or hurricane and we as humans see that we have NO power compared to the power of Almighty God, the Creator! I stand amazed!

This morning is beautiful. Green, green, green outside! We're so proud of all the rain after suffering through a drought last year! Our rain gauge has a full two inches in it this morning! God is good!

May God bless you today.....

Marilyn

4 comments:

Joyful said...

God's presence through the storm. As you know I'm not a storm girl either and today we had a forecast of severe weather, but so far it's just been a dull, rainy, cold day.

It's so comforting to know that the wind, rain, lightning, etc...are all in His hands.

Glad that today you're enjoying His beauty after the storm.
Blessings,
Joy

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My husband loves a good storm. I'd rather avoid them. We've had our fair share in the past few weeks, including one tornado warning that sent us all to the hallway for a brief period. I think what bothers me about such storms is my complete lack fo control. The only thing I can control is what I choose to do with my fear. Prayer is the ticket.

Thanks, Marilyn, for all your good thoughts and words. You are reaching so many through your posts.

peace~elaine

Leah Adams said...

So glad you didn't have damage. Have a beautiful Lord's Day!!

Leah

Deborah said...

Isn't that just like our Lord to provide you with just the words and scripture you needed to comfort and encourage you at that time!
I'm so glad the storm has passed over you...and yes, I love that song too!
I just came from typing up my own blog post for tomorrow, and it was interesting to read your first words....they go well with some pictures I'm posting. I won't spoil it for you though...you'll have to stop by my blog and see!
By the way...I love the quote in your sidebar...and I see you are acquiring some new blog skills....fun isn't it! LOL