Thursday, January 15, 2009

Accessory With a Purpose


I just love it when necklaces, earrings, bracelets, gloves, shoes, belts, etc. are called "accessories"! I don't know why ... it just sounds so....classy & dramatic..... or something! A few months ago someone gave me a very old newspaper clipping of the announcement in the local paper when my Mama and Daddy got married around 58 or 59 years ago. I don't remember ever seeing the clipping before and so much enjoyed reading it. This is what was said about Mama and her Matron of Honor: "The Bride wore a donegal grey tweed suit with black accessories. The Matron of Honor was attired in a wine gabardine suit with black accessories." Accessories....that something extra that can make or break an outfit.

The ladies class that I teach on Sunday mornings gave me some money at Christmas and I have just now gotten around to spending some of it. One of the things I bought was the bracelet in the picture. As a bracelet I would identify it as an accessory. It would be a great addition to my wardrobe on it's own merit as an attractive bracelet. But this is an accessory with a purpose! It is a witnessing tool that I am so excited about wearing!

Are there any of you that have ever used the "Wordless Book" of colored pages to give the plan of salvation to children? If so, then you probably recognize the colors in the beads of this "Salvation" bracelet.

The black bead represents our heart being black or dark with sin.
("To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me." Acts 26: 18)

Red stands for the blood of Jesus that can cleanse us from all sin.
("Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:" 1 Peter 1: 18-19)

The clear (or white) bead talks of how our hearts are white as snow and our sin account has been "cleared" in the eyes of God after we are saved.
("Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isaiah 1: 18)

Blue speaks of royalty! Jesus is the King of Kings and as His children we are royalty.
("...keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;" 1 Timothy 6: 14-15)

Green is for spiritual growth using the principle that when it's spring time and things are beginning to grow, everything turns green.
("But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen." 2 Peter 3: 18)

And last is gold for heaven....our eternal home with God if we are saved.
("For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." 2 Corinthians 5: 1)

I am so looking forward to wearing this "accessory with a purpose" and letting the Lord guide me as I use it as a witnessing tool for Him! In particular I want to wear it to work at the pregnancy center where it is my privilege to be able to have a little devotion with each client that I meet with.


January is Sanctity of Life Month so please be especially in prayer for all the crisis pregnancy centers everywhere.

Thanks!

Marilyn



6 comments:

HOPE said...

Marilyn..did you know that I just posted this very subject THE WORDLESS BOOK on my blog a few days ago! How exciting that you also had this on your heart.

A great tool..the bracelet! It will definetly get some attention and open doors. You will have to let us know about your opportunities.

I enjoyed your post. Thank you.

HOPE

Joyful said...

Marilyn, we used to sell those in the bookstore where I worked last year. I love jewellery with a message too! I like my accessories to speak of the One who dresses me in His armour each day and clothes me in joy, splendor and majesty (Psalm 30:11; Psalm 104:1).

Dressed to bless,
Joy

Deborah said...

My kids have made those bracelets...I think at Camp meeting during craft time...and also little caterpillars with a pin, so they can be worn like a broach.
My husband also came across some pens that have a little pull out scroll...on one side are pictures, and on the other the gospel.
There are so many great ideas out there for witnessing tools!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Beautiful bracelet, Marilyn. I have a similar one for Christmas and one my daughter made me at VBS with the colored beads. I love to wear my reminders of Jesus and his love for me!

How are you? I haven't been over for a while. Sorry. My New Year has been slow out of the gate; still with so much to do, but with little desire to do any of it. A battle of my will lately.

Hope all is well. No need to visit at the blog. Only when you want to or have time. I just wanted to say "hi."

Happy weekend.

peace~elaine

Jana said...

I love that bracelet! Where did you find it?

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I LOVE your bracelet!! It's so pretty!! It's a great reminder all day long and it's super cute!! =)