Saturday, January 3, 2009

Two New Things

I got up on the first day of the New Year 2009 with anticipation of Two New Things that I had planned to participate in this year. The first one was a plan to read through the Chronological Bible this year along with several ....or should I say MANY......other people over at Wendy's blog. Years ago a former pastor of ours gave my husband a chronological Bible which, until now, has sat shoulder to shoulder with various other books on a bookshelf in our living room. And although I have read my Bible from Genesis to Revelations multiple times, I had never read through the Chronological Bible. I'm looking forward to it. "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2: 15

The second new thing that I started is a memorization program. Beth Moore put a post on her blog asking if there were other women who would like to commit with her to memorizing (or deeply meditating on if you can not memorize anymore) two Scripture passages each month in the year of 2009. To my surprise and delight there were over 2,500 women that responded saying, "Yes", they wanted to commit to doing this! We will memorize whatever Scripture the Lord has put on our heart.....so it will be very personal. The rule is to pick out a new Scripture twice a month.....on the 1st and 15th. The first Scripture that I want to memorize (or meditate on if it just won't "stick") is this:
"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him because he first loved us." I John 4: 17-19

If sharing about these two "new things" that I have started has caused you to want to read your Bible through from cover to cover this year or to memorize Scripture on a regular basis, then I am glad. Please say a prayer for me that I will be consistent with these commitments that I have made.

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" 2 Timothy 3: 16

May God bless each of you!

Marilyn

5 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Marilyn,

I'm doing the Scripture memorization with Beth too. I am also participating in "What are you learning?" with Gina at Chats with an Old Lady.

Accountability is a wonderful thing!!

Leah

Cathryn said...

Hey Ms. Marilyn. I've committed to reading the Bible chronologically as well. Marsha at Marsha's Musings is heading it up. I think I will check out Beth Moore's website. I am reading her book "Get Out of the Pit" right now and it has been such a tremendous blessing. Have a wonderful day. I don't know if I told you that I nominated you for an award for your blog but I meant to. The info is at my blog if you want to read what I wrote. Blessings ~ Cathryn

Yolanda said...

Marilyn,

Hello, I loved the picture you included, what a sweet spot! I too am participating in memorization and also starting my second year of reading through the bible. Both are so rich and rewarding.

Would you care to post your scripture on a special post that I have included for the woment that come to visit? http://yolandarogers.blogspot.com/2009/01/happy-new-years.html

You are such an encouragement to me.

Lovingly as I reach for Higher Grounds,
Yolanda

Susan said...

Hey Marilyn,

Thanks for stopping by the other day.

Isn't it wonderful to start our new year, reading and memorizing the word?

I plan on doing the same.

Tomorrow I will start a Daniel Fast too.

New Beginnings, how exiting.

Hope you have a blessed day♥

Cindy said...

Hi Marilyn,

I am committed to learning Scripture this year with Beth also. But I am going to learn one verse per week.

Cindy