Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Broken Fellowship

I am still hot and sweaty from my mile-and-a-half walk this morning but wanted to write something down before I forget it! I like to get out and walk earlier than this but was running late today. I know.....some of you younger women who are into running are thinking what's the big deal about a little mile-and-a-half walk??? Let me 'splain it to y'all....as we say here in Mississippi. ha I'm old! I'm not in good shape. It's very hot and VERY HUMID here in Mississippi. Nuff said? :)

While walking I happened to look up at the trees. An unusual gesture for me as I normally keep my eyes on the road so I won't stumble on a rock or a tree root or some such thing. As I looked up I saw a lot of brown leaves on one tree. Because we have been very low on rain the past month I was afraid it was beginning to die from lack of water. After further inspection I saw that the limb had been broken and was just hanging. It was probably broken by some high winds months ago and was just not noticed.

I immediately thought about "broken fellowship" and how it dries up our spirit. It doesn't matter it we have broken fellowship with a friend or a relative or if we have gotten mad at God Himself. When we are not right with others we are not right with God. And the nourishment we get from a relationship with Him stops. We start to dry out and not be productive Christians anymore. We're not any good and might even have to be removed. That's what needs to be done to this dead branch on our tree. It needs to be cut off and thrown away.

I needed this object lesson this morning. It's so easy to get our feelings hurt. It's so easy to hang on to those mean words someone said to us. But when we do, we are cutting off our life-line and dying up little by little.

Hebrews 10: 24 "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:"

Today would be a good day to get back into fellowship with God if you have been shunning Him for whatever reason. I talked to a lady recently who told me that when her mother died she got mad at God and would not go to church for many years. She finally started going a little and then her sister died two years ago. She said she got mad at God again and didn't think she would ever go back to church. She said her thoughts were if God didn't think any more of her than to take away two of her most precious relatives then she didn't want to have anything to do with Him. Of course, that's just Satan's way of getting us to doubt God and His goodness! But...happily...this lady is now coming to church and seems to be interested in knowing more about God. I can see her "coming back to life" and soaking up the water of the Word. Pray that she will soon totally give her life to Christ.

"He watereth the hills from his chambers; the earth is satisfied with the fruit of thy works. The trees of the LORD are full of sap; the cedars of Lebanon, which he hath planted;" Psalm 104: 13 and 16

May we all grow in grace today!

Marilyn



12 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Bless your heart! I understand about southern heat and humidity. I do not like exercising in it at all.

I have been that broken tree limb many times and I hate the feeling of being out of fellowship, regardless of whether it is with the Lord or other people or even with myself. Sometimes I am out of sorts with myself because I expect way too much of myself.

Thanks for the reminder to stay connected to the vine so that I stay green and healthy!!

Love ya,

Leah

Peggy said...

Very good as usual! We also have some of those dead tree branches around our area from the June 12 storm. We all have dead branches in our spirits that need to be cut away. It is a continual process isn't it? We want grace for ourselves but often overlook
the need for grace in others. I don't think we ever forget hurtful things but with God's grace we can put it behind us.The passage of
time helps with that as well. The next time someone says something mean to you--remember that you are very special to your
family and friends but most of all to God and He loves you just as you are. Hope you are having a great hot summer day!

Your friend,
Peggy

Beverly said...

What a sweet message. My husband and I walk two miles each day with our little dog, Saska. We have started waiting until after 8 at night. Saska is a Shih Tzu with long hair. She can't take the heat well at all. I'll try to send a pic. She is so sweet.

Beverly

Beth Herring said...

The one good thing is that we may break fellowship, but Praise God we don't break relationship with Christ!

Great post my friend.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Beth, you are so right! And I try to emphasize that point to my ladies class and people I talk to about the Lord. I use the example of our own earthly children. We may lose fellowship with our children...or with our parents for that matter.....over something but we will always be their parent....or their child....no matter what! I'm glad you brought that out!

God bless!

Marilyn

Deborah said...

Well,the only excuse I have for not walking is that I might lose all my blood to mosquitos....but that's what it is...an excuse, really I'm just too lazy!

Which in a spiritual sense can also lead to a broken limb.
Thanks for this devotion, Marilyn.

Yolanda said...

Marilyn,

You have such a blessing with visuals that so speak to my very heart, right where that fiery dart needs to hit...dead CENTER.

Your just the sweetest thang! I have a few broken tree limbs and I'm not able to mend, only through prayer. I'm not giving up!

Love ya,
Yolanda

Liesa said...

HI MARILYN.
WONDERFUL POST, AS USUAL!!!

AND BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR SON. I ENJOYED LOOKING AT THE PICTURES!

GOD BLESS YOU WITH A WONDERFUL WEEKEND DEAR FRIEND.

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Marilyn in Miss.!!! YOu are precious! It's even MORE hot and humid down where you are...nuff said!! I am proud that you are walking--keep it up!! You will love it!

This post spoke volumes to me! The broken fellowship with others or with God has to be repaired in some form or fashion. Great insight, my friend!
The next time I see broken branches, I will ask myself if I am right with others and with God!

Hugs,
Susan

Pinkshoelady said...

Hey Marilyn,
It is so nice meeting you. From one southern girl to another humidity, heat, walking....all equal misery until we can stop and sit in front a fan with a big ole glass of sweet tea! Which by the way negates the walk we just took!

Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog and for visiting. That was a hard story to tell. But you can't keep quiet when God heals can you?
I hope you will continue to visit and I will certainly be back here! Your broken branch analogy spoke to my heart as well.

Thanks new friend can't wait to get to know you more!
Pamela

Jana said...

Love you dear sister! Thank you for your faithfulness to communicating HIS Word!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Powerful analogy about our broken fellowship with God and with others. The interesting thing for me is the "attachment" that still lingers, despite the brokenness. Unless we tend to the wound, we stay attached to it in some measure, even when we're dried up and close to the grave!

Love you.

peace~elaine