Wednesday, July 1, 2009

'Dem Dry Bones

Early this morning I took my coffee and my Bible out on the deck for my morning devotion. First time in quite a while because we have been having oppressively hot and humid days here in Mississippi and I have not been stirring much outside an air-conditioned house! Thankfully, the Lord has sent some drier and a tad bit cooler weather this week! So nice!

As I sat down at the table on the deck I noticed a strange, lacy looking something on the floor. I reached down and picked it up. It was the "skeleton" of a leaf! I don't think I have ever seen such a thing before. It was actually beautiful. So fragile and lacy and transparent.

I could not help but think about the "dry bones" that Ezekiel saw in a vision from the Lord in Ezekiel 37. He saw a valley of skeletons. Dry bones that had once been living breathing human beings. In his vision he saw God put muscles and skin back on these dry bones and then breath life into them. God is the only One who can do that! He created and breathed life into Adam and Eve.

The leafy skeleton that I saw this morning was to me a thing of beauty. Even though the "life" is gone from the leaf, there is a beauty there that is not in the green leaf you see lying just beside it. Will the "skeleton" of our life be a thing of beauty when we are gone from earth? Will our family and friends remember our life with a smile.....or with a grimace?

Now while we are alive is the time we are weaving the pattern that will grace our legacy. Hopefully it will be a pattern that our loved ones will enjoy over and over!

"He that followeth after righteousness and mercy findeth life, righteousness, and honour." Proverbs 21: 21

May God bless you with a great day!

Marilyn

7 comments:

Lisa said...

"we are weaving the pattern that will grace our legacy".

Something to meditate on today. Thanks!

Blessings ~ Lisa

Deborah said...

I've never seen a leaf like that, it really is beautiful! Great analogy too!

Deborah

Peggy said...

That is a beautiful leaf and a beautiful analogy as well.
Hope you are having a grea day.

With Love,
Peggy

Yolanda said...

My what a beautiful visual God graced you with this morning!!!

Love to you,
Yolanda

Leah Adams said...

I so pray that my legacy will be one of grace and truth and faithfulness from this day forward.

Beautiful analogy and beautiful post, my friend. Thanks so much for your prayers. My sister and her family got home safely.

Leah

LisaShaw said...

I enjoyed your sharing dear friend and the analogy you used. Aren't times with our GOD just precious! He always sends a message that blesses our hearts.

Blessings and peace!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Working hard on leaving my imprint, friend. I love the reminders that God places in our lives that script analogy all over the Word of God! You do such a wonderful job of taking me there...

peace~elaine