Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Where Has the Time Gone?

Where does the time go? Thirty-one years ago today I gave birth to our first son. He was a big boy when he got here weighing in at 9 lb. 4 oz. The picture above was taken in the car as we were leaving the hospital to go home. He and I both still had the I.D. bracelets on our wrists. Even back then they wanted to make sure the right Mama had the right baby. But there were no laws yet about taking the baby home in a carseat. As you can see, he was riding in Mama's lap!

Back then it seemed almost as if time stood still for long stretches. But now, as I look back, it seems like I've been on a fast train roaring down the track. This son is the one who has made me a "GanMamma" twice now. He's the one who was in the Marine Corps and seriously injured in Iraq. He is the one who my husband laughingly says caused him to get the job he's been working for over 31 years now....because we needed the insurance to pay for having kids! :)

I'm proud of all three of my children. They have been the primary focus of my life for many years. I sometimes marvel at how God let me be the one to put the pencil or crayon in their hands and teach them how to write. That I was the one to teach them their letters and their numbers. The one to see their faces light up when they were able to sound out a word and then to put many words together to make a sentence. And every one of them are still great readers. I was so blessed to have been able to be with my children so much while they were small. I just wish that I had realized that at the time!

"For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." James 4: 14

So, today I am thankful that God has blessed me and my husband with children. Happy Birthday John!

Maybe you don't have biological children. Perhaps you never will. Look around you. There are children everywhere who need the love and encouragement of a Christian adult. Maybe the Lord wants you to be there for them in the place of the parent(s) who can't or won't be there.

Luke 18: 16 "But Jesus called them unto him, and said, 'Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God'."

One of my favorite children's songs says: "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world."

Today I celebrate not only the life of our first-born son but the lives of precious children everywhere!

Whizzing along the road of life.....

Marilyn

1 comment:

Beth Herring said...

Oh that is a precious picture. The time does seem to just fly by! I can't believe that so many years have passed either.

I hope that your son had a fabulous birthday.