Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Please God, HELP ME!!!



One of my favorite things to do in my "old age" is to rummage through flea markets and thrift stores with my husband.  Several weeks ago while doing just this, I began to look at each book in the section marked "Christian books".  I always do this and sometimes find wonderful books at a great price.  That day I came across a pretty pink hardback Prayer Journal.  It was obvious from the cover that it was marketed for young girls.  With my young granddaughter in mind, I started leafing through the journal. On the left page there would be a little devotional.  The right page would begin a suggested prayer thought concerning the devotion on the previous page and then there were several blank lines so that your own individual prayer could be written in the journal. It was very nice and looked like it had never been used.  But then as I continued to glance through the journal I found that one….and only one….page had been written on.

I didn't buy the journal since it had been used but that one and only entry touched my heart.  I took out my phone and took a picture of it.  Not having the journal in hand, I can't remember what the devotional was about but the suggested prayer started like this  -- "Dear Heavenly Father, I'm so mixed up. Some people tell me one thing, and others tell me just the opposite.  I want to do the right thing. I sure need your help. Here is what I'm trying to figure out:" On the blank lines following that, a young girl had written her prayer in bold print with some misspellings so I want to think she was most likely between the ages of eight and ten years.  Here is exactly what she said and how she wrote it:

"Sometimes I don't know wheather to play with Lyida or Lauren. And sometimes I don't know to belive in me or my friends, please,God HELP ME!!!"

My heart just melted as I read this melancholy prayer written by some unknown (to me) little girl.   More than once I have thought about her and said a prayer for her.  I even wondered if perhaps I was the only other person who had read this journal entry besides the child who had penned it.  But I know that I am not!  I know that God saw it and even now continues to see it.  I truly believe that He did help this child who cried out to Him in her time of need.

How many times have I …even as an adult…felt the same way this little girl did? Not really knowing who to believe or who to turn to and crying out, "Please, God HELP ME!!!"  And so many times God puts His arms around me and whispers to my soul, "Believe ME!  Turn to ME!"  That's always the right answer! And He's always ready to help us when we call on Him.

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."  Hebrews 4:16  (KJV)

May God bless you!

Marilyn

2 comments:

Jill Beran said...

Oh, thanks for sharing! How precious that you are praying for her and you are reminding us that GOD is there and He's listening! Blessings to you!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

This is a beautiful, tender post, Marilyn. So many times, I've been that little girl, probably writing similar prayers as this one, even as a young girl. I really like this; it speaks to me at so many levels. Thank you for taking the time to write it!

PS: I see you've been busy lately, writing posts again. Do you link these on your facebook page? I don't want to miss your posts.