Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Month of Thankfulness: Day 17


Day 17: I'm thankful for a good night's sleep on a comfortable bed !

I know there are many people who can not say that this morning. People who for some reason did not get to sleep or did not have a bed. I'm sure there are more homeless people in this world...including our United States...than we really can imagine. There may be many reasons for a sleepless night for some. Worry. Pain. Disease. Fearfulness. Losing sleep can sure take a toll on your body. Just recently I heard a veteran of the Korean War talking on a TV documentary about his experience as a POW. He said that while in prison he was deprived of sleep for sometimes days on end and how horrible that was.

And then there's the part about the comfortable bed. You never know how much that means until you don't have one. I can remember sleeping on the cold concrete floor of the hospital room several times when staying with my Daddy when he was so sick. When feeling sorry for myself God would bring to my mind the millions of people all over the world who would be glad to have the security and safety of sleeping on the hard floor of a hospital room with their loved one! And I also can never forget our son John who slept on the ground in a tent in Iraq for months on end while fighting terrorists.

So as we turn the covers back tonight to climb into bed, let's all remember to say a prayer of thanks for that privilege!

"I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

May God bless you!

Marilyn

2 comments:

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Amen! We all have so much to be thankful for.I am trying this Thanksgiving season to remember every day how thankful I am for God's blessings.

Yolanda said...

Marilyn, what a great perspective on our beds, our comfort and sleep. Thankful this morning as well. Lovingly, Yolanda