Monday, November 7, 2011

A Month of Thankfulness: Day 7

(Just a very few of my book collection!)

Day 7: I'm thankful for books!
I have loved books for as long as I can remember. I loved being read to before I learned to read. Ican't imagine life without books. Sometimes when I take my glasses off and look at a page of print I can feel a little of the fear a non-reader may feel. Last week I found a little booklet from where I had been in the Summer Reading Program at the Ripley Public Library in 1960 ! That would have been the summer just after I had finished first grade. And I've been a reader ever since!

When our three children came along I spent lots of time reading to them.
I can remember when they were pre-school or early elementary age that I read the
whole Little House of the Prairie series to them. Some nights I would almost
lose my voice and one of them would run to the kitchen and get me a glass of
water so that I could finish the chapter (or the book! ha) And now each of them
are great readers on their own right.

I remember a few years ago proof-reading a paper for Elizabeth for some
class in college. In it she had stated that she had "learned from Mother that
anything I want to learn to do I can find instructions for in a book". Books
were a staple in our home and still are. Books are a blessing. And the best book
in my library? The Bible. For in it are not only words but "Words of
life".

God bless you!

Marilyn

No comments: