Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Month of Thankfulness: Day 5

Day Five: I'm thankful for my home! I've never had a new house in my life. The little house we've called Home for the past thirty-five years is probably 75 years old or more. We just last year replace the original tin roof which had begun to leak like a seive! ha By the world's standards we don't live in a modern or expensive house. But it's served us well and I am very cozy and comfortablely snug between its four walls.

A friend of mine who does mission work in India sent me a picture of a "tent city" that is in the very large city where they live. It's a sea of blue tarps stretched over ropes stretched out like a clothes line. Entire families live together in a small little homemade tent without running water or a toilet. They cook outside over an open fire and have to walk long distances sometimes to find a place to get water. The sewage runs in the street. Not a place you'd want to visit much less live in. And yet millions do!

Why did God allow me to be born in America? Why does he let me have a home that, although small by American standards, could house several families in any third-world country? I don't have the answer. I just know that I am deeply thankful and grateful for the security and shelter I have in our home!

But as much as I love my home out here in the woods, I am looking forward to one day going to my permanent home in heaven where God is preparing a mansion for me and every other person who has trusted the eternal finished work of Jesus Christ on Calvary.

"For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house in the heavens." 2 Corinthians 5:1

Would you like to share what you're thankful for today?

Marilyn

1 comment:

Yolanda said...

Your home is lovely as well as your heart!

Yolanda